Hey everyone. Long time no chat. I wanted to write this quick post to let you know why there haven’t been any videos in a while. If you are interested in technical content, skip this post and come back next week for a post on filtering data from heaps.
First off, thanks to everyone who reached out to see if things were ok. Things are great! Well, as good as they can be anyway. Since my last post/video a few things have changed in my life:
- I got a new job building out a new data science team
- My wife and I had our second child, which has been very exciting
- COVID19 has turned the world upside down
Combine all of that with America’s racial atrocities and injustices being put in the spotlight and well, writing new posts and filming videos just wasn’t a priority.
And while the world still sometimes feels like a terrible place, and I’m still not getting adequate sleep with a 4 month old in the house, I’ve been wanting to get back to writing blog posts and making videos because they bring me, and I know many of you, enjoyment.
With that said, going forward I am going to make a few changes to make things more sustainable:
- For over 3 years, I wrote posts and filmed videos every week. Most of the time this was manageable, but sometimes it caused me stress to meet deadlines for something that I’m doing for fun. So while I still plan to update this blog regularly, I plan on doing it in a way that doesn’t self-impose stress.
- You may have noticed the logo change to Data with Bert. SQL has always been just a small slice of my technical life and I’ve wanted to incorporate the rest of my data-related projects into my website. Things like what I’m currently building with Arduinos, and how I’m using the cloud to store data in non-relational services. Writing about these other projects never felt right given the site had “SQL” in the name, so that’s what brought about the change. I am still going to write primarily about SQL, but I’m basically giving myself permission to widen the topic area to other data-related projects. They will all still have a heavy data problem solving focus, so if you’ve enjoyed the posts up to this point, I’m sure you will find the future posts relevant as well.
Anyway, thanks for reading :).
Thanks for reading. You might also enjoy following me on Twitter.